Canadian Nurses

Steps to follow Canadian Nurses

  • Step1:

    Apply for CES professional report
  • Step2:
    Apply to a state BOARD

    Authorization to test for NCLEX

  • Step3:

    Pass the NCLEX exam

  • Step4:
    State license

    Apply to state BON to get state license

  • Step5:
    CGFNS Visa Screen

    Apply for Visa screen certificate

  • Step6:
    TN Visa

    Profession is on the NAFTA list


The TN category is special category created under NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) for qualifying professionals who are nationals of Canada or Mexico.

The initial time limit for a TN professional to work in the U.S. is three years. However, this period may be renewed for three years’ interval indefinitely.

You must be a Canadian citizen. You must possess a nursing license in the U.S. state where you intend to work. You must obtain a VisaScreen healthcare worker certificate from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS). You must have an offer of employment from a U.S. employer for a qualifying nursing position.

There are two different types of TN status. A TN-1 refers to a Canadian professional, and a TN-2 refers to a Mexican professional.